View Single Post
Old 08-26-2015, 01:51 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
Three years ago, when I bought a new boat the first thing I did was buy a 20 foot joint of .25" x 2" galv flat bar to raise the lights up above the top of the boat. I have not had any problems with these lights.
I did the same but I used the unistrut from home depot, http://www.homedepot.com/p/Superstru...10EG/202714274 its like $20 a length (one length was enough to do all 4 vertical posts) and its all predrilled for mounting bolts. I bolted them to those heavy duty bolt on step fender supports. I don't see them made anymore but it was 1/4" galv square stock welded 90 degrees to a flat plate that you bolt to the side of the trailer. this lets it slide forward or back on the frame and then the unistrut leans over just enough to match the side angle of the boat and is bolted tight in position. I put one in front and one to rear of the fenders and then I added 5ft side guide boards. its "almost" impossible for the boat not to line itself up correctly as I drive it on.

this made a solid, strong, drive on trailer, and the ones at the back of the fenders I left long enough to reach the top of the sides of the boat so it lifted the lights up to the top of the sides of the boat. I think it was 24" high at the front posts and 30" high at the rear where the lights mounted.

the trailer came with new LED tail lights so I now have two LED tail lights on each side for extra visibility. the slim LEDs are these if anyone is interested in getting some like that
they have been working trouble free for 5 years now so they seam to be very good quality lights. I bought them because I sometimes graze the fence when backing the boat in so I broke off a few lights that way lol

Last edited by keakar; 08-26-2015 at 02:11 PM.