View Single Post
Old 03-10-2016, 03:21 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,686

I'll post pics later but here is how we do it.

Buy boston butts on sale. Try to get butts with less fat if possible.

Debone, and cut out any extra fat cap.
Cut into tasso sized pieces when deboning.
Add meat to deep plastic pan.
Add one tablespoon of Pink Curing Salt to each pan
Add regular table Salt and Red pepper (we make our own red pepper from heirloom cayenne peppers we grow and grind) as you like. Add water to cover the meat and mix by hand. Taste the water for seasoning and add more as needed.We don't measure seasoning, we taste the mixture as we go. Some people are afraid to do that but have been making tasso this way since my grandpa taught us. We like it pretty hot so usually the water mixture is a good pinkish red color.

Once you are happy with seasoning we let sit in refrigerator for 1-2 days. Can be longer if have the time. Be sure to mix the meat and seasoning at least once a day as seasoning will settle to bottom and you will have uneven consistency.

We smoke with what we have but usually, oak, pecan and china ball. We usually have a supply of all 3.

He have old metal coat hangers that we use to hang the meat from our smoke house. We try to keep the fire low enough to slowly smoke for 1.5 to 2 days, when you cut a piece it should be smoked through but not cooked.

That's about it. I guarantee that our tasso is better than anything you can buy commercially and i think it is better than most specialty meat stores as well but I am very biased..

Last edited by Crawl79; 03-10-2016 at 03:32 PM. Reason: add info