Probably there bigle pump wasn't working or they didn't have one. I was 9 miles out f Rollover yesterday.. It was 1' ers. yesterday early. We we got back to the dock. wind was about 10 out f WSW.
Its a very horrible accident. Water was 70 degs in the morning and when we left about about 72 deg. Which is bone chilling cold. I personally took an open water diver refresh course 4 yrs ago in a swimming pool in 70 deg water. I had chaffing gear on.. Not a 3 or 5 mm wetsuit. My teeth were chattering after 10-15 minute in that water.
They were probably in the water over 12 hrs.. They may have been in short sleeves and fishing shorts. The Heat loss is very rapid.. Mostly from the exposed head. Water temps probably fell back into the high 60's.
I sure he succumbed to Hyper-thermia. Just an educated guess.
So guys; when and if U go out fishing in the GoM. What ever your boat size. Make sure U have lifejackets or vest in good condition. Make sure Ur bilge pump is working. It's a CG requirement that U have day and night visual flares. Make sure U have them. and they are not expired.
Tell someone where U are headed. It would good seamanship to have some type of emergency water proof bag with water proof flashlight, or a water activated very inexpensive strobe lights or glow sticks etc. on ur life jackets. Most important, Make sure U have a Lifeproof waterproof case for your cellphone... "LIFEPROOF" Cases are totally water proof. And can video to 9'-12' under water.
This should be a wake up call for anyone who fishes the GoM.
I'll be checking my flares in the morning, and getting some of the small water activated strobes for my 4 life jacket.
I'll be praying for both young men and their families. The Survivor will have to live with this accident the rest of his life. THAT'S A HUGE BURDEN.
|