View Single Post
Old 05-19-2016, 06:33 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,414

I just pulled my squash and zucchini. They too were looking like bottom end rot. Upon a close inspection I found cutworms in the main stalks at ground level. They ate all of the inside of the stalks. All the rains have gotten the best of 20 tomato plants. I am now down to 4. I have a feeling this rain tonight might get the rest. My peppers are loaded with peppers and blooms. The okra will be large enough in a day or 2 to pick. My first planting of green beans are finished. I ended up with 2.5 gallons. The pole beans are just starting to give enough beans for a meal every other day. Cucumbers are about 3 inches long and in a week I will have more than I can eat. All my corn has small ears and that won't be long. I just planted 50 feet of purple hulls to replace the tomatoes, squash, and green beans. The lettuce is doing great and I will have enough for salad a couple times a week soon. My citrus trees did not start producing well until they were 6 years old. Now they are 20 years old and I get tons of fruit. I use to trim a few branches a year on them to produce a thicker tree and to stimulate growth. When you trim them that area won't produce the next year. So be sure to only trim a few branches a year. Two years ago I trimmed my trees heavily and it did not have much fruit last year but this year my tree is loaded. I have an orange tree that did not produce an orange until this year. That tree is 5 years old. It has about 10 oranges on it. Last year I trimmed half the branches on it. This year it almost doubled in size. Were your orange trees in full sun? I also keep mulch 6 inches deep around my fruit trees all the way to the drip line. I never water or fertilize them and they produce the best fruit.