Thread: RTIC Coolers
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2016, 09:18 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,091

I like the premium coolers because I use one as a center seat in my skiff. An igloo lid will warp quickly with my fat friends sitting on it.

On another note, Last week I made a 5 day camping trip with my daughter. Because of the length of the trip and the fact that I wanted to cook a lot and eat well, my 70 qt k2 wouldn't have been big enough so I pulled out my old Igloo 120qt. I loaded it with a lot of ice. I filled 2 - 2 gallon zip locs with water and froze them, and also froze about 15 half liter water bottles, put all of that in, loaded with food and drinks, then dumped a couple of 10# bags of loose ice on top. We camped for 5 days, in and out of the chest (especially the 10 year old), returning on a Friday. I didn't unload the chest until the next day (the 6th day). The 2 big chunks of ice were still much larger than I expected and the half liter bottles that were closer to the bottom of the chest were still partially froze. Pretty darn good ice retention for a "non premium" cooler. I did chill everything that was going into the cooler before putting it in, that, and pre chilling your cooler makes a big difference in how long any chest will hold ice.