View Single Post
Old 08-05-2016, 07:33 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 6,228
Default Dink friday 8-5-16

After a late start dad and I went after them again today. The first spot we fished in turners on 8-3 had a boat on it so we went to the 2nd spot we went on 8-3 near washout and it had three boats on it. So we did what I didn't do on 8-3 and that was fish birds working out in middle of lake. Lots and lots of Dink's. Fish and bait blowing up everywhere! Didn't need birds to show where fish were but after an hour or more of no keepers we made short run for cut near washout again cause I could see those three boats were gone. More Dinks but finally put a couple in the box until I set the hook on a nice one and it came straight to the top and made huge swirl like the bigger ones usually do and before I could get I got a nice trout on out of my mouth a big shark jumped all the way out the water landing on its side and I never felt anything after that and reeled in only string. I asked dad did u see that and he said yep u got robbed. We fished it for an hour after that taking break for snacks but never got another good bite. We even put a 4-5" croaker on and a little bigger mullet I had in back livewell in case we found the big trout again to try to get the shark to play but nothing. It was full on trout I guess lol. Went back to turners and put 3 reds and a couple more trout in box before calling it a day and running out of bait. Total 5 trout and 3 reds. Huge difference from just two days earlier. Lots of boats running around all morning so it could of been tough for others as well. It was my fewest amount of keepers for over a month or more. That was the 3rd shark I hooked this year. Well I never felt today's! One of the others was in same spot but got it to side of boat and was just a little bull shark. The other one I hooked in south entrance to west cove and it made 2-3 huge jumps before breaking off. That one and today's was four feet or more. Idk sharks so couldn't say wat kind. Fished big lake for years and have never hooked a shark till this year and at #3 already and with the water being just like gulf water may hook more. My next trip will be from Turners Bay north though so not as likely. Water is so clear and salty now my fishing spots I used to fish in moss lake and prein lake all the way up to Salt water barrier have to be holding trout by now.