View Single Post
Old 08-13-2016, 11:39 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmk07c View Post
BG did yall look at adding or getting any for your area? To kind of supplement the ones working their way in?

Anyone know if they have a similar creature for hyacinth and other invasive plants we in south deal with? From what I understand there is giant salvania and just regular, the weevil we currently have only eats one type of salvania. This is why there isn't eradication. Places like maurerpas swamp can't get a grip on their problem because it's a split invasion of reg and giant salvania.

I've called so many people and got some help just not a whole lot.. LSU Ag , Texas a&m, caddo lake restoration folks, and I was told they wouldn't give weevils to the general public. They were going to state and fed lands first. LSU Ag gave me coordinates to where they released some and they said you can scoop up a bunch in 5 gallon buckets hoping you caught some and then bring it to your site. But that site was too far from us to travel and get lucky to scoop some up ..

Thankfully Miami Corp decided to get on board and there property borders ours and so we had a good chance of the weevils moving onto our property. We did assist them in spreading a little faster as in scooping up salvinia with weevils and moving it to directly in front of our duck blinds

And hopefully we only have 1 type of salvinia. I've never thought about it like that