View Single Post
Old 10-14-2016, 11:30 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by southLA View Post
I hunt primarily specks, primarily out of large spreads. I used windsocks with back bones, although i do have a few hundred "rags". I have found rag spreads to work much better in stubble vs bean/plowed fields.

1. Don't put out rag spreads if there's no wind. Period. The birds will hit a wall at 75 yards everytime. Sunny/cloudy doesn't seem to have a difference.
Winds over 25mph or so are also disadvantageous.

2. I hunt with a minimum of 200 windsocks. I can hunt 2 people in that size spread. Add 200 windsocks for every extra hunter.

3/4 Fullbodies on the bottom end of the spread, 20 yards or so downwind of you. You don't have to separate. But the downwind side of my spreads are very loosely set anyways so they become separated be default.

5. I hunt mostly laydown blinds. Bottom edge of the spread. However, if i hunt from a levee, i put about 75% of the decoys in the cut upwind of me, and 25% in the cut downwind. Set the ones downwind very spaciously, create a large landing zone. You don't have to set them very far from the levee. Sometimes I'll even put decoys on top of hte levee where the grass is short enough.
We'll be in a plowed field...