View Single Post
Old 05-31-2017, 05:12 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bass2mouth View Post
I always have ran lowrance, and still do. I'm pretty knowledgeable about the HDS units, and they play a huge roll in my fishing. But, If I were to get a new boat with no electronics and have to start from scratch. I'd make the switch to the new Helix units w/ Mega imaging. Just watch out with the Birds if you want networking capabilities. The 5's & 7's won't share waypoints, mapping, etc.

I don't fish saltwater much, but I would think you'd be able to find quite a bit of oyster reefs with the side scan. Or any hard/soft bottom transitions. Even with a blurry image you can easily tell hard from soft bottom. The general rule of thumb with SS is set your range 3 X's the depth you're in. So if you're only in 5 FOW, you're really only getting a decent image at 15' out each side of your boat. But that's still better than only directly under your boat IMO
With that being said, I'm pretty certain Lowrance won't take long to come out with a new model, or maybe just an update to the gen3 carbon's software that will be comparable to the Birds Mega Imaging.