Thread: CCW?
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 09:07 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty View Post
I think I have my delimna solved...two guns. One for pocket and one for just shooting. My new question is what is the best/most comfortable, reliable gun to shoot (caliber don't matter). Realize anything I buy will probably be good with me... being I'm a rookie in this department and I won't know all the small differences in each firearm anyway.
Two guns is not a bad idea, but you are looking at it completely wrong.... One gun to carry and possibly have to use in a defensive situation, and one gun for "just shooting." As MathGeek already stated, a pocket sized firearm is a difficult waepon to master. This is the firearm, by your reasoning, you will be using to protect yourself with while you will train with a totally different weapon ? Doesn't make much sense to me. You can pick up a full size Glock, then a full size M&P, then an XD and they will each have different ergonomics causing you to shoot each differently. Compare that to the LCP everybody here is suggesting and good luck hitting your target in a stressful situatuion after static training with your "just shooting" gun.

I'm not trying to be an @$$, it's just simple logic that no one here has seemed to point out yet. They have a gun show in Lafayette next week. I would suggest braving the lines, pay the $8 admission, and finger bang every handgun you can until you find that one that gives you a boner once you hold it. Train with it like your life depended on it, because it just might, and dress around it. Effectively carrying a weapon is more than just sitting in a 1 day class and throwing a gun in your pocket and now your safe. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but I spend at least 20-30 minutes a day practicing my draw and sight acquisition. Not because I'm paranoid or some Chris Costa wannabe, but because I'll be damned if I get killed with my own weapon because I didn't prepare enough.

Rant over.