View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 08:22 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil bubba View Post
Used a head of celery for a supper I cooked for and took the root end and planted rite below the dirt so sun didn't hit it directly . Next day it was sprouted and this is a week . I guess it will grow to be another celery . Much easier than planting from seed . Rest of the garden finally coming along . Beets , turnips , zukes , cabbage , brocoli , cauliflower , shallots , tomato's ....
I do this with green onion tops, Plant the small part on the bottom and it continues to grow. If I'm running low in the planter I buy some more and plant them. Good to know it works on celery, I never use the whole pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
neva tried this with celery but definitely will we do it with romaine all da time buy 2 packs of 3 romaine this time of year make salads plant the root ends dont buy more till the spring heat kills it.
Good to know it works with Romaine too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
I have a 3 pack of romaine in the fridge. I'm going to have to try this.

Bubba, how are the fresh beets? I'm not a huge fan of them canned, but was curious about trying them fresh. Think it's worth using up a few squares in my garden? I'm sure someone would happily take them if I don't like it.
Fresh beets boiled till tender in a little salted water and drizzled with a little vinegar are one of my favorites.