Thread: Setup for Trout
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 04:54 AM
Redfish

Cash: 2,199
FlagUS

Specks: I fish with only two rods. One rod is a stickem 7' Tail special for soft plastics and the other is a 6'6" Stickem (not sure of the name) for all my topwater and twitchbaits. The stickem rods are bought locally from Jay (long cast), they are the best bang for the buck and so far I have really enjoyed using them. Both rods are equipped with Shimano's Curado's 200E7. Line is power pro braid 20# test. A lot of guys prefer a spinning (egg beaters) set up for fishing with corks, and spinner baits.

Reds: Here is where I prefer my Shimano Calcutta's and Allstar rods (7') medium fast tips, and again power pro braid 30# test.

I'm sure there are for more superior setups to my personal preference. I believe in taking an economical approach to my tackle because you don't have to spend outrageous amounts of cash to be a good fisherman. Money doesn't put fish in the boat, skill does!

Another piece of advise, book a guided trip on your first coulpe of trips on Big Lake with the likes of Captain Bruce Baugh (cajun wader) or other knowledgeable guides. The payoff will far outweigh the costs down the road, as learning the lake geography and fishing patterns are crucial to success and could save you a lil gas money.

Best of luck to ya, and hope to meet you on the lake one day!