View Single Post
Old 09-28-2015, 09:46 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
Disagree. Late in the season when they have seen every cheap, raggedy decoy around, they will swing in for a look at those when maybe they would have kept on going.

Sometimes it's not about getting them in close enough to shoot, it's about getting them in close enough to get the opportunity to get them in close enough to shoot.

They know when food is there from high up, and know a safe roost from high up, why wouldn't they be able to spot a realistic set of birds from up there after being trained by crap dekes for the last 2,000 miles of flight?
i disagree. i believe late in the year it depends more on concealment and making your calling more realistic. yes the birds are looking at your decoys but they are worried more about where that noise is coming from.

i have hunted over the same speck decoys for a very long time. the flocking is peeling off and they are so faded that they look almost grey. i feel i would have had the same success over brand new decoys in the same situations. like someone said earlier. if they can see the paint on the decoys flaking then they are too close and should be hanging on your bird strap.

as far as ducks go, i believe it is more about the contrast of colors, white and black... when you see ducks on a pond from far, what do you see? black or brown dots and white on a pintail or spoonbill chest, that is it. all of this detail painting is to fool people into buying more expensive decoys. buy the most durable decoys you can and if you feel like they are fading, just slap on a little brown and white paint.

that is why coke bottle theory works so well. paint them black with a strip of white and what do the birds see with those bottles are spinning and floating,? the flash of dark and white. contrast...

but then again that is my opinion. and everybody is different.