View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 08:52 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
I have a degree in Finance, but I've never played in the stock market before. I'm thinking about trying my hand at it, but before I lose my a$$ I want to do a little research. I have a decent grasp on crunching numbers, however I would like to read more on it. I know there are a few of you here that invest, and was wondering if there are any books out there that y'all found helpful. Thanks!

Matt
Played is the key word. It depends on how you are defining investing - i.e. are you planning to buy and hold or day-trade? We can't all be savvy investors like "W" and over time it's pretty dang tough to beat the market so my advice is to research funds and go that route. Depending on who you talk to, buying and holding individual stocks is a thing of the past.

I quit "playing the game" a few years ago and doubt I will ever do it again because the cards are stacked against individuals. My brother-in-law is a PhD who works for a high-frequency trading shop and let's just say they mop the floors with people like us.

Morningstar is one of the better places to read about funds. There are numerous books on fundamental analysis that I could point you to for more short term views.