Thread: Huge Fish Kill
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 12:41 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunkid View Post
W, I remember that well. Had fish corpses all over the marsh. Fish naturally seek deep holes in winter for survival. I always thought refuges employed marine biologists? Would really like the rationale for keeping them closed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunkid View Post
Someone should call those folks today. Provide the above photos. I think it is unwise to think the govt officials in charge of the wiers can actually put cause and effect together. They are govt officials, and will not lose their jobs and suffer any economic loses no matter how many fish are killed.
The Federal Refuge System was established for waterfowl habitat, not fisheries. Therefore, they do not employ marine biologists. USFWS may employ marine biologists, in fact I'm certain they do, but the refuge staff itself doesn't necessarily have a marine biologist, and even so, the wiers are no longer controlled by the government. A private entity is employed to operate the wiers as they were intended to be operated in the original Management Plan.

That being said, at the expense of a large fish kill, the wiers should be operated to allow the fishery to move around. But, I don't know what the science says about that.

It's definitely not deep enough back there. I imagine that water gets super cold, because I know from experience that it gets super hot in the summer.