View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 08:46 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728
Default First fishing trip of the year 2/9/14

Finally got out and wet a line today. A stock pond that a friend of mine bought that was way overstocked. Last winter a biologist told him we needed to take out 3-400 small bass a year to get it back right. We succeeded last year in taking out about 375. Keeping everything that was filetable up to 2 pounds. And throwing back all the babies and all fish 2 lbs or bigger.

I got out there this morning about 6:45. Cloudy skies. And no wind. Usually I would be pumped but the water was coldddd. Threw a topwater for a little while but quickly abandoned that. Alternated a square bill crank and spinnerbait after that to no avail. Put on a red bug colored baby brush hog and put the first fish in the boat at 7:56. Caught two others not far behind that one then they stopped again. Started digging for a new idea that might get their attention. Decided a watermelon red senko would get the call. That seemed to get their attention a little more. After missing fish and cussing loud and changing hooks finally got on a couple more. 3 more fish about 1 1/2 pounds I'm guessing. My digital scale crapped out on me. It was getting close to lunch and I was getting hungry so I decided to hit one more spot before I left and second cast there produced a big fattie. I'm guessing 3 1/2-4 pounds since she was full of eggs. She went back to fight another day and I decided to call it a morning at that. That was at about noon. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391996471.251980.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391996491.412671.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1391996503.910434.jpg

Went back about 3 o'clock after lunch and a little nap. First stop produced 1 keeper and a few babies that went back in. Much slower in the afternoon due to complete lack of sun I'm guessing and the wind giving me a little more trouble. Ended up bouncing around and picking up 5 more keepers this afternoon and 4 little ones that went back in.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391996703.465619.jpg

Definitely not a bad first trip of the year! Hopefully there's more to come like this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk