View Single Post
Old 02-22-2019, 01:00 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962

Sir

U must be a delta waterfowl zealot. LOL

Larry Reynolds indicated that we are looking at 6 and 60 if I do remember correctly,., But come to the WLF public comment meeting Monday in Laffy and U'll see for yourself. If I remember right, Larry Reynolds indicated that the Adult breeding Gray Duck was down 30%. But that # was still ABOVE the Long Term Average for that species.. He did say the Gray Duck depend on coastal marshes not ricefields for forage and resting area. As we know the saltwater and brackish water marshes of Vermilion and Cameron parishes have been losing thousands of acres a yr. And This yr. They were just not here in the last waterfowl flyover survey.

To me the seminar was a smoke and mirror ****zzz show... Lets face it. When Ducks have water freeze around them, and 5-8" of snow on the ground, they will head south... If the next week water is still frozen, but it gets warm enough for the snow to melt, so they can get to food, they AREN'T going anywhere.

I did learn something tonight... Out of all the puddle ducks, Teal will NOT feed in a dry grain field, Like mallards, Pintail, American Wigedon etc. and All U have to do is get on youtube and watch peps like Bobby Guy, and Outdoor Lmits which both guys have there own U tube channel. They post waterfowl hunting shows and they hunt in Central Kansas. They skull dugged the ducks and geese there in Kansas. A lot of the shows are filmed in flooded standing cornfields. The advent of Ice eaters used in the places that freeze up preventing water to freeze up also isn't helping..

Also 20 yrs ago, we didn't have sugarcane all the way west to LC area. And Above I-10 used to be cotton and sweet potato. Now U have Rice all the way north from I-10 to Missouri. Just my 2 cents based on about 58 yrs of waterfowling experience.

Last edited by biggun; 02-22-2019 at 01:31 AM.