View Single Post
Old 11-26-2014, 10:04 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 792
Default 1946 here

Really enjoyed reading these memories of long ago. Let's see.......Saturday matinees for twelve cents, cokes for six cents in the machine that kept them semi-submersed in water to cool them, attic fans instead of air conditioners (but we still had to cover up at night), floor furnaces to keep us warm on a winter night (and don't make the mistake of walking on the grill on your way to the bathroom at night or your feet would carry the grill marks for a week), many whoopings with my dad's very large belt, our first TV was the size of a small sofa with a 9 inch screen (I was the remote control for my dad watching the Friday night fights), killing enough robins with my Red Ryder BB gun for a gumbo, catching 3 inch brim caught in the coulee out back (which my mom would then fry up to humor me), wax bottles of kool-aid that we would bite the top off to open them, Black Molly firecrackers, cutting lawns for spending money with a real "push mower", one where the wheels made the blades turn, marble games with my favorite "tar", learning to water ski behind a 14 ft. wooden hull powered by a 35 green/white Merc, etc.