View Single Post
Old 09-05-2018, 11:20 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 6,228
Default 9-5-18 Calcasieu River Givimg up Crappie Everywhere

I really like this site. But this section of it does not get much traffic. For sure not as much as saltwater section. So I have decided to post my detailed fresh water reports elsewhere. I actually have been. I will continue to check back in and for sure post in salt water when I do go. For the ones that do read my reports just pm me and I wil tell u where to check them out at. Also for ones that do read thanks for reading and really thanks for commenting. Calcasieu River is giving up Crappie everywhere I go. The River has not been this clear in many many years. For the ones that follow you have seen my reports and I'll do good but I'll say it's still not like back n the day. Well right now it is every bit as good as back in the day and it is helping me really figure these Crappie out. I always hear that the Calcasieu is hard to figure out how, where , when, etc etc and i didn't really think much of it but it really can be. Example: just last week the fish were in 15-25 fow. Well with the rain the last few days has cooled the river off almost 10 degrees in some places and the same tree tops I was fishing at that depth now have one or two and none at all. But they are still close by on the section of the tree in 8-12 feet of water and it has to be the water temp that brought them up. They stayed deep thru December last year. I can almost guarantee that once this water heats back up they will be back at that depth soon. I just hope it stay this clear. Labor Day I was able to see over 3 feet down in some places. Today at least two feet but the river finally started flowing back south and is bringing dirtier water with it. Fish we caught today were a little further south than Labor Day . Today Barry Bay to watermelon Bay. Still had to be on main river for the big ones. I took my buddy to couple of my holes in the bay but they were all small. I just wanted to show him a place he can almost always catch them and it much more shallow water , 6-8 fow, making it an easy place to take his grand kids to catch Crappie. Hard for kids to fish 6-8 feet deep with a cork! Anyway we boxed some really solid fish at these spots today and never had to circle back to the holes we fished Labor Day and found a new hole that we pulled 15 of the largest Crappie caught. It's always a good day for me when I find a new hole! And we caught two large catfish on rod and reel on a white perch hole! He caught the first one which was 2 1/2 - 3 pound blue cat and barely got it in the net before the gold white perch hook broke. While he was tying on another hook I dropped my line down and hung on one I didn't think we would get. I'm hollering mr jim get the net hurry hurry bend down more I can't pull it up anymore or it's gonna break my hook or line fully understanding now how difficult it is to get the pole high enough fishing almost 7 feet deep with a cork to get it in the net. Well he bent about as far down as he could and I pulled hard on wat I just knew was gonna break it and it got up to that short handle net and would not fit the first time so after seeing it now I pulled one more time and the net and fish were in just the right spot for the head to go in first and we got it. I could not believe it!! It's at least double the size of his and we didn't weigh it but it is an easy 5-6 pound blue cat and likely more than that. I have not caught many big catfish on rod and reel especially on Calcasieu using a Crappie set up lol. Today ended up almost the same as Labor Day. We had 39 Crappie, 2 big blue cats, one average channel cat. Labor Day was 41 Crappie, 2 bass, and 3 catfish but not on rod n reel they came off limb lines. I had just got finished telling him I have been seeing huge catfish roll on top chasing shad in this area not ten minutes before. He has about 50 limb lines out and idk if he would have set some there by just saying that or not but I bet u come Monday or Tuesday when I'm out there again there will be limb lines with very noticeable orange flagging lol! Man I think I may have said this in my last report but these last couple trips it's like we could do nothing wrong!!! Call it karma for reaching out to a lifetime friend at a very stressing time for him or maybe just dumb luck i really do not know but these past couple trips have made memories I'll never forget. Tight lines all and Quit Wishin and Go Fishin!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1840.jpg (88.1 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1845.jpg (95.5 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1842.jpg (85.0 KB, 161 views)