View Single Post
Old 02-16-2019, 10:17 AM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,174

Having a farm in Oklahoma and looking for waterfowl land last season I was amazed at the amount of new habitat being built. I have a realtor friend that builds farms with levees ready to flood the crop of your choice and he's making a lot of money doing it.

The other issue is no till farming. There is so much food on the ground now that farmers do not have to turn over there fields that ducks have no reason to ever leave. I hunted a corn field that had been harvested in Oklahoma with a thirty yard low spot that held water. We had a four man limit of mostly mallards in only a few minutes and passed mostly on huge flocks of teal I'm told they never use to get in Oklahoma. This was not a flooded cornfield with standing corn it was simply a harvested field that had not been turned over. We had corn all around on the ground.

The birds have no reason to leave. Mallards are never coming back here in big numbers but the above poster is correct. Arkansas use to kill mallards now they kill gadwall and that duck along with teal are the two birds that made up most south Louisiana straps.