View Single Post
Old 09-16-2014, 03:35 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,245

If you go to the Colorado WLF web site it will tell you what areas are over the counter and which are not. They also list the success rates for each area. You will find that the areas with higher success rates will be the areas that do not have over the counter tags. I apply for tags every year in Colorado and if I can’t make a trip that year I deny the tags. The more you apply for an area the more preference points you build and the better chance you have to draw tags in the area you want.
You may also want to look as some of the drop camps that the outfitters have. We went on our own one year and the drop camp two years later. I found the drop camp to be much better. You will stay at a camp with wall tents and all propane and stoves for cooking is supplied. wood is chopped, and they have water for your use and they pack you in and out. They will also come check on you several times that week to take any meat you harvest back and keep it cold for you. The drop camp we did was almost a full day horseback ride for where we left and we never saw another hunting group while we were there. The guides also marked suggested areas to hunt on the maps and told us where they had been seeing elk. The first year we went 6 of us killed 1 cow and the second year we went 6 of us killed 2 bulls and 2 cows. I think the drop camp is a lot better for someone who does not live in the area and does not have much time to scout.