View Single Post
Old 10-22-2015, 09:42 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

This is what I've gathered from reading several comments on different forums.

The current proposal is a result of the way the seasons were set this year. Southeast Louisiana hunters and rice farmers were not happy with the early coast season. Southeast Louisiana hunters favored the later dates because they feel like they do better later. Rice farmers want the later dates so that they have time to harvest 2nd crop and get fields ready for hunters.

This same proposal was in the surveys, and got very little support. The surveys also indicated that the majority were satisfied or had no preference in season dates. Combine the two, and its likely that many felt like there was no need to change the zones, assuming the seasons would stay the same.

Because the current proposal appeared in the surveys, I assume there was already a push. From what I understand, there were just as many hunters that did not like the late opening in 2014 as there are those that dislike the early opening this year.

Many in the northeast part of the state are not keen on the new proposal, because they fear the southeast Louisiana hunters will grow tired of the traditionally later open in the east zone, and will push to change it. And with the political sway that comes with having Baton Rouge and New Orleans so close, they fear it wouldn't take much to change the dates. Personally, I think the rice farmers would still be on the side of the northeast LA crowd because of that 2nd crop.

Again, just a synthesis of what I've read. Take it as you will.