Thread: Deer Dogs
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 02:54 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 700

Dog hunting has its place even though i dont care for it. For clubs that have 5-10 thousand acres and the dogs rarely leave the property I have no problem with that. It is the ones the deliberately release dogs on small acreage knowing they will run onto other peoples land that I have a problem with. I hunt 2 pcs. of property. One club I have shoots anything that walks the other shoots 130" deer or better composed of 1200 acres and is managed well. All of our neighbors are on qdma and practice management as well except for one property owner that has 25 acres and lets walker hounds loose on it all the time. He knows they dont stay on his property but he also knows if they run on ours it may push a good deer onto his 25 acres. His dogs came in front of me 3 times in one hunt last year and finally I had enough. You can guess what happened next. Dog hunting is tradition in Louisiana, I was even brought up around it and if done right by respectable hunters have at it but it is some of the ones like I mentioned above that give many of them a bad rap.