View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 03:47 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 675

We lived in Chalmette and owned a farm in Avoyelles. My brother and I worked on that place every weekend, Holiday and of course, all summer long. Our parents spoke only french to us. We were sadly forced to reply in English. We can slaughter cattle and butcher it up. We have butcheries with our wild-caught hogs. We make our own boudin, cracklins and can put together the best dirty rice.

I still cook for all large family or church functions.

There was nothing about farm life or the Cajun Heritage that my father didn't cherish. He liked the work and LOVED the CAJUN/FRENCH heritage!

I never knew a man so proud to be a French/Cajun. He referred to himself as a "creole" pronounced "Clayoulle". After taking Louisiana History I told him the term Creole indicated some negro blood in our lineage. I got ready to duck after I said it. But, he laughed and told me he'd heard of that term with the "other" meaning, patted me on the head and said I could be sure.

I've come to be also proud of my heritage. Today I can understand every french syllable spoken as fast two dried-up ole cajuns can rattle it off. However, if I must do the talking, I take it slow and remember every word carefully and barely finish a thought without a mistake or two.

My brother and I became avid hunters and fishermen. We absolutely loved our sweet-spot of huge pissing male blue-gill. Sac-a-lait may have been our favorite. We could fill a nice 1500 sq. ft. house with all the specks, white trout, croakers, flounders, redfish and drum that we've caught over the years. The catfish caught on trotlines alone might fill half that mythical house.

My father and his brothers brought us and gently encouraged us to participate in all of this. We all drove the truck and tractors in the fields as young as 8 or 9 years old. Usually when we were out of sight of the kitchen window.

My brother seemed tough as ever and just had a stroke and died. I miss him so bad it's hard to take. Evey duck I shoot reminds me of a freezing morning somewhere with him. When we start caging-up the dogs.....He had the best dog-mind I ever saw. Many field-trial champions to show it.

Thanks for allowing an old Cajun to reminisce!