View Single Post
Old 06-22-2018, 06:10 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 6,228

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunduck man View Post
14/36 Oua****a and trailer...brand new in 1974. Bought it from Fontenot's Marine on Ryan St. in Lake Charles. I was 14 years old. I remember paying under $500.00 for it. I won $300.00 at a Friday night bingo game at the St. Margaret's K.C. Hall the week before and I had some yard cutting and grocery bagging money saved up to pay the difference. The motor was a different story, dad had an old 12 hp. Sea King...it was old enough to have the gas tank on top of the motor. After saving up money the following year I wanted a new motor and had about $150.00 (not enough for anything new) so my dad had me meet him one day at the local bar (the Bottle Shop on Prien Lake Rd.) walking distance from our house. In those days a minor could walk in get a coke and sit in the back...he introduced me to a man, and said that he would sell me a 1970 Johnson 9.5 for $150.00. I gave the man the money, he shook my hand and we put it in the back of dad's truck. Years later I realized that the man needed the money and I am sure that dad probably gave him more money for the motor. But the lesson learned was two-fold...my dad taught me how to work for something I wanted and, years later it dawned on me that he taught me how to help someone out in need without hurting their pride... (in retrospect the man would have taken 150.00 for the motor but dad knew he was down and did not want him to be taken advantage of).
AWESOME