View Single Post
Old 09-24-2011, 09:34 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 826

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsch1 View Post
LPfishnTim Old River does have bass, but it is a hard place to fish.
Most people fish close to the bank and bigger fish school up on points a little farther out. The goo/drum tell me alot on one section I fish. The goo are typically alittle closer to the bank, so I back off and fish deeper with DD22's and deep diving rapala.

Most people will laugh but the best baits I find that mimic the shad at Old River are Zoom Arkansas Shad tiny flukes. Right bait, Right color, Right size, and it works.
I carolina rig it on a size 1 or size 2 not 1/0 but size 1 or 2. Usually start on bank right now 3ft to about 20ft out drops slowly to 4ft and ok get alot of bumps on goo. Tells me to back off 20ft and slowly drops 4ft to 7ft and work bait back to boat bam caught a little bass. Then I remember the area I got the bite and work it parallel to the bank. Right conditions and you can really rack up some bass in the fall or late summer when the bass are feeding on shad. I caught bass up to 7lbs on this lure out of old river.

When early in morning I may go to Rapala Count Down number 7 or 5 when the bass bust right under the surface and won't hit a rattle trap or crankbait. Actually learned this trick from Roland Martin when I was asking him questions at a bass event a few years back. Does well and caught some nice bass on this lure and always keep a few in the box.
Thanks for the detailed info! I have never fished the area, but I am sure other members have. Thanks for the report, those catfish are gonna be tasty!