View Single Post
Old 07-26-2018, 06:26 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

I took my boat down to the beach this morning. My first stop was about 1/2 way down the rock breakers. Water there was about 10" to 12" visibility and I caught one 12.25" speck.

I moved west down near the end of the rock breakers. Water was about the same or slightly dirtier. I caught a 17" trout..... fishing soft plastic.

The wind was 3 to 6 mph out of the NE. By 9 am, the wind died down a little and the water was fairly calm. While heading back to the Jetties the wind was from the east or SE for a while and blowing 5+ mph some times.

At one point I was fixing to move so I trolled 50 yards away from the rocks before starting the engine. When I started it..... about 25 yards farther out, a big school of fish busted the surface and went down. I turned off the engine and grabbed a rod. I got a hook-up right away. I fought it for several minutes..... thinking that big school did not look like reds. After making several runs, the fish broke off. Maybe a Jack???

By 9:30 I started heading back east. I stopped where I started and water still looked the same. I caught several small trout and one barely legal there.

As I headed farther east, I saw several boats fishing the rocks..... so I stopped again. Water here looked better..... 15"+ visibility and a nice green color. I got a fair amount of strikes using a TKO shrimp and two more 12+" trout. By 10:30 am, most boats had left.

I went up near to beach several time, but never saw any schools of bait. I caught several catfish and a couple croakers. I did not catch any Reds all day.

On the way in, I was following another boat an he suddenly stopped. When I slowly caught got up near him he said he had seen a school of Reds. We waited a while but did not see them again.

I got a couple of picture on my camera that I will post later.