View Single Post
Old 12-31-2018, 10:00 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 959

Wow, it's been a crazy couple of weeks, we are really working hard, and I'm taking pictures, but I can't find time to post. So this one should have probably been about 4 or 5 posts! And then Christmas, and of course I had to go visit the Alamo too (and rent a new corvette) so December was crazy. So here we go

We finally got the rear ice chests installed under the windows. I found a really good company that doesn't give me any trouble shipping to Costa Rica, and really they weren't that bad. The unit is called IsoTherm, and they are around 850 bucks for the compressor and the big element. They should both be able to freeze or refridgerate, I'm going to do one of each though. They ended up looking smaller than I wanted installed, it's weird because on the bench they looked soo big. I guess I'm just used to working on smaller boats, but either way, we'll put a big pad on top and that'll grow them a bit. They have about three inches of injected foam, plus they are made out of foam, so hopefully with the freezer element in each, they will get our beers and cokes cold!

I'm hoping they look bigger with the pad on them. That ladder is coming off of the left side, but we haven't gotten the tower built yet. We are going to climb up the tower leg and get more cokpit space.

This is a mid process shot of injecting them. We got ahold of some crummy foam, it didn't grow like foam I've used in the past. It did grow though and work, but I ended up with alot more holes.

And then we got the holes capped back up and the fairing done.

Sometimes the things that take the longest are the most unimpressive. The transom was a mess of rotten wood, a big heavy door, and no live bait area. We threw the door out to make room for a huge live well and tuna tube area. And then it took quite a bit to make the transom look normal again. I'll have to go back out and take some more pictures in a bit, these are about a week old, but this is kind of the idea

And then the tubes we did something cool. Instead of the typical PVC setup most people put in the bottom of the tubes, we left the bottom of the tubes open and 1.5 inch, and just put a short 2 inch run of pvc in the tube. But that didn't connect to anything. Then, we put them in a sealed box, one on each side, and then have a 4 by inch box connecting both sides, that we inject the water into. Here's our engineering drawing:

The idea is that the water pressure equals out and all the tubes flow the same. And, there is no PVC to bust later. That is always a problem for me, a few years in the PVC leaks, or the valves get stuck. So all that is eliminated and the flow is equaled out across the tubes. And they overflow into the live well, so one pump can do both the live well and tuna tubes.