View Single Post
Old 07-11-2017, 02:02 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,075

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren View Post
I am looking to get into offshore fishing over the next few years. I grew up speck and red fishing. I would like to get into offshore in the next few years but don't have much experience on how to rig the tackle and just general offshore information. Is there any books or reading material that y'all suggest on how to rig and general ideas about baits and things like that to help me get started? I'd like to start fishing close rigs going after grouper, snapper, Cobia, AJ, etc. then eventually possibly start going farther out for tuna and mahi. Any suggestions that you guys can point me to so I can at least have a good reference base of at least rigging my poles and tackle
Time, money, and more time.
The more you spend offshore the better at it you'll get. Learn your knots, uni-to-uni, basic uni, Palamar, bimini twist etc.
Snapper ling will eat anything in front of them. Grouper takes a learning curve to constantly catch them. AJ is closed but you can put a piece of cut bait down 200 feet and hook them.

Everything is bigger which cost more so know that offshore isn't cheap.

Find a buddy who does it often and ask him to bring you along. 90% learning fishing is hands on.

Good luck