View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 05:02 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,454

Here is my letter:

Dear Mr. Adriance and LWF Commission,

I wanted to address the recent letter of intent to impose an 18" minimum length and 5 fish creel limit on Tripletail fish for Louisiana recreational anglers.

First let me say that sustainable harvests and use of the resources should always be allowed, and the burden of proof for changing existing regulations should be on those proposing them. I do not see the point in limiting an abundant resource because of unsubstantiated/unpublished data and political pressure. These changes should ALWAYS be based on scientific data.

Unfortunately, data justifying such a radical change in tripletail harvest regulations is sorely lacking. The questions you need to be asking anyone proposing such a change are these:

1. Do the SEAMAP ichthyoplankton surveys show a dramatic downturn in successful spawning in Louisiana waters over the past five or ten years (reduced larval counts)?
2. Is there any data that shows tripletail stocks to be in imminent danger of collapse specifically from recreational anglers using a rod and reel?
3. Shouldn't the LWF Commission be cautious in imposing radical restrictions when there is little to no science to back up the decision?

After some comprehensive study looking for the answers to these questions, I have found that there is not any basis for the proposed change.
There just is not sufficient scientific data showing that maintaining current harvest levels of tripletail in Louisiana waters is not sustainable indefinitely into the future.
Remember, the burden of proof is on the person or persons proposing any change and the Commission should not take lightly their duties to demand any statistics given must be proven.

Based on the above information, I implore you to vote NO on the proposed letter of intent to change the Creel limits on Tripletail in Louisiana waters.

Thank you,
Reggie Himel
Louisiana Resident Lifetime Hunting & Fishing License #12345678
I am also submitting this on behalf of my 3 minor children which are also all Lifetime Hunting and Fishing License Holders