View Single Post
Old 12-01-2016, 08:17 PM
Redfish

Cash: 705

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Maybe this is incorrect, but I have seen texts cite it as meaning "bayou of the indians". The Cajun French Dictionary does have "d'inde" as turkey, but I'm curious as to why it would also be translated as "indian", other than the similar look and sound.

Or perhaps it comes from the French word "inde", meaning "India"?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
It could be a local slang. An example is Prien Lake...It was named for Cyprien Duhon...Prien was a nickname for Cyprien. Cajuns are notorious for nicknames. It very well could be a local slang for Indian. It's so sad that many of the old people were not "interviewed" back in the day, but back then there was not much interest in this subject. In my youth I asked a lot of questions...sometimes answered, sometimes not. As I have grown older I realized than many of those people were belittled because of there heritage and did not want relive this issue. There are some place-names that we will never know the exact origins but I appreciate the comments...it makes me want to look at things in a broader prospective. FYI I have a degree in French, French was my second language, I was a French teacher, and I am currently a Principal at a French Immersion School in Calcasieu Parish. Anything that I can find about the French language or culture is always appreciated.