View Single Post
Old 01-30-2015, 11:36 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin i was fishin View Post
to define save a bit more, the Atchafalya delta is rebuilding land but only in a relatively small area. Internal systems in VB are still eroding. I do not know the speed. Studding maps, the areas that are eroding are areas with little to no shell reef protection. To save from erosion coastal protection needs to be installed in these areas.

There is an impact to these reefs by the flow of fresh water out of the delta. Just curious what the long term impact will be to these reef systems. I don't know if any studies are being conducted on the reefs south of marsh island. Theoretically, if there is less fresh water the reef systems should be healthier due to the rise in salinity. Target species would be in these areas more as well. keep in mind oysters begin their life as parasites in fish. that is why they ate usually found together.

also as MG says hypoxia is a big issue. that will no doubt continue to plague us all of the Louisiana coast for a while.
the Atchafalaya is building is due to manmade canals but shows that it can be done. If only u can convince people in southeast Louisiana that they can work
There are some artificial oyster reefs right at the pass of VB but they are not doing well due to the low salinity most of the year. The hypoxic zone graph can be a little misleading. One can look at the graph and think nothing lives there but that is not the case always. It's mostly on the bottom. The fertilizer issue MG spoke of is a very big deal though and I wish we could get rid if the ethanol mandate for any reasons but mainly due to virgin prairies being converted to corn. That's our duck factory and it's really really easy to go from prairie to corn but really really hard to go from corn back to a functioning prairie. And farmers nowadays don't leave much buffer between the crops and the ditches and the fertilizer comes straight down the creek. A little 25 ft buffer of native grasses planted alongside the ditches works wonders in nutrient runoff protection as well as the added habitat for wildlife but no one wants the government telling anybody what to do on their land or tell them they can't smoke in a bar for that matter