View Single Post
Old 08-24-2016, 10:26 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampcritterr View Post
I typically "pitch" everything. That's just using the pendulum action of the bait and dropping the rod tip then raising it to build up energy to strip line.

"Flipping" is pulling line with your left hand and basically setting the bait no more than a rod's length away from you. Hence the "flipping stick" rods that are 8ft long. I never do this.

If the bait/weight isn't heavy (3/16oz weight + a plastic) it's pretty difficult for me as well and I'll use a spinning rod to pitch.

For me, I release all of the braking systems on my reel (will produce a good birdnest if you don't manage the spool). Hold the bait in my left hand, aim the rod tip at the water then let go of the bait and raise my rod at the same time. If you thumb the spool while the bait is getting there you can put it in the water with very little splash. The pendulum action is the most important, you need to impart as much energy as you can during the swing and release it at the right moment to get the most distance. I still throw one straight up or smack the gunwale all of the time.

Pitching will build up a lot of slack in the line on your spool and it's important to make a long cast every now and then to re-tension the line on your spool.

For heavier baits (like big spinners or beaver styles) once you've done it for a while you won't even need to put it in your other hand to release it and then you don't have to switch hands before you engage your reel.

A good quality reel is important, I use Lew's Tourney Pro's and 13 Fishing Concept A's. Both of these are very free when the brakes are turned off. I always make sure to crank the brake back up if I'm going to make a cast.

Thanks!