View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014, 04:43 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852
Default i hate my lawn mower oil filter location

I looked into relocation kits for my Toro LX420 lawn mower oil filter but i cant afford to pay that much (over $100) to do it.

the problem is the design is such that you cannot avoid dumping a pint of oil all over the mower frame and driveway because it doesn't empty back into the drain pan. the filter is an oil trap that is position tight inside by the side of the Briggs & Stratton engine so you cant get a pan under it so you just let it run all over the place to drip from everywhere it finds a place to.

since I only do the oil & filter change nonce a year I have been putting up with it and using a hammer and ice pick to punch a hole through the filter housing in order to drain it before removal but even with that its still messy.

does anyone know where to buy a bypass cap to eliminate the oil filter altogether? half the mowers out there don't have oil filters so its not a new idea to run without one even though it does give a "little" extra protection.

anybody got any ideas that will work to relocate or just eliminate the oil filter and cost less then $50? im tired of beating holes in the filter to remove it.