View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014, 10:14 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
Make an oil catch/funnel out of a 2 liter coke bottle. Works like a charm on my mower and Harley.
thought about it, or aluminum foil but theres just no room to get under it so the oil pours down the side of the engine and spreads out on the frame.

there just isn't a lip or edge there for it to drip from to get something under it to redirect the oil. that's why I punch a hole in it to let the oil out of the filter first before unscrewing it.

I agree with the idea you don't need to change the filter because its not doing anything but it can block oil flow if it gets dirty enough so that's why I would love a way to bypass and cap it off, like if there was an empty can you can screw onto it to just let it flow without filtration.

life would be easier if they simply designed the filter setup to fully drain back into the pan when the mower is shut down because my only issue is the mess not that I have a filter, I like having a filter, but not if it has to be this messy.

here is a video that pretty much shows you something similar to what I have but my frame is wider and comes out about another 1 1/2" farther then that mowers frame and I don't have nearly the room to get access to it that he has. this video does show how low to the frame the oil filter is and how there is no room under the filter to catch the oil with anything. look at about the 1:00 mark to see it

Last edited by keakar; 06-24-2014 at 10:42 PM.