View Single Post
Old 12-15-2009, 08:32 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 643

Well guys.... Im back from Nebraska.... And it was effin COLD. I had to warm my water and put it in a thermos to keep it from freezing. I would put a boddle in my back pack, and it would freeze solid in about 1 hour.. The thermometer up there said it was -18*.... (thats 18 deg. below 0) and the wind chill was -32 (thats 64 deg below freezing temp). On the way up there, we started hitting ice on the road, and when my truck started turning sideways while doing 40 mph, I threw the towel in and said I wasnt driving anymore, we spent the night in the hotel, (pictures above), and took off the next morning. It was better the next morning after all the "snow pushin trucks" pushed the snow out the way, and sprayed that "de-icing stuff", sand, or salt or whatever it was that they sprayed.

Well we ended up getting there and started talking to locals who said that this was the worst freeze in history. We just came at a bad time. The lakes and ponds were froze solid, Lakes like the size of toledo bend were froze so hard that we could have walked across them. Being that everything froze so hard, all the ducks were in corn fields (wich was posted land) and the Canadian geese just wernt there... After a whole day of looking for places to hunt, we gave up on the duck and goose hunting. I booked a few Pheasant hunts with Mr. Al with "Platte River Guide Services" and it was an awesome experiance. If anyone is in the area for vacation or anything, i suggest looking him up(http://www.platteriverguides.com/), Great prices, and great hunting.

When i got there, i bought all my liscences including a buck and doe tag, so on my last day, i tried sitting in a stand wich was torture in this cold weather and wind. What was bad, is when you would walk to the stand with all ya clothes on, i would sweat a little bit, and then when i would sit still in the stand, that cold would start creeping in, and thats when it would start getting bad.. I managed to rough it out but didnt see anything. I think what i should have done was, walk out there with just a few clothes, then put the rest on when i got to the stand.. So basically I came home with just some pheasant, one that is going on the wall. Main thing is that I had alot of fun, i experianced new terrians, and i seen some really BEAUTIFULL coountry. I attached a few pictures (as you can plainly see...lol).....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (68.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (42.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (89.1 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 026.jpg (60.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 044.jpg (28.5 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 057.jpg (93.3 KB, 54 views)