View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 02:01 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 826

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleheaded View Post
I don't know what the answer is, but there are a lot of different factors that are driving grain farmers into the ground. Its not that you can't make a good living by working the soil, I think our culture as a nation and the mindset of the youth these days is one reason why younguns don't want to get into the business of farming.
Im from dallas fort worth area, big city boy. Down here at mcneese, majoring in general agriculture with a minor in wildlife management. Rice farming is a lot of work. Leveling fields, flooding them, managing against red rice, planying at correct depth, adding fertilizer at correct time and correct amount...it can be tough. I would not mind farming at all. Id get to be outside all day, I couldnt stand a desk job. I have to be up doing something.

Had never been on a "farm" until I came down here. Since living here, I took an internship with the louisiana environmental research center, worked with plants every day. Farmers need help. But in 2008, agriculture and .its practices accounted for 1% of the federal budget. Farmers are going to be needed forever in America, we feed the world.

ny farmers here? Would like to help out this summer and gain hands on knowledge.