View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013, 03:41 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampy View Post
Respectfully sir but by that logic people should be locked up for just possessing a beer. How come you approach everything from science until the science is not in your favor.
Not at all. I would not support mandatory imprisonment for misdemeanor cannabis violations. Implying that I would is an example of the strawman fallacy, as is the suggestion that I would favor taking children away from parents for nothing more than a single misdemeanor drug charge.

Implying that I approach everything from science until the science is not in my favor is another strawman fallacy, as well as apparently hypocritical. You are the one dismissing out of hand the scientific impact of the study showing 3/4 of the youths with weed in Colorado report getting that marijuana through MMJ channels. You are the one dismissing and failing to give any answer to the scientific fact that cannabis is a very common contributing factor to risky sexual behavior among teenagers. I have acknowledged the scientific finding that alcohol has more longer term health risks than cannabis, but you have ignored the possibility of hallucinating on cannabis as well as the loss of motor control and greater challenges for inexperienced users to use in moderation and avoid getting "high" or "stoned."

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceArcher View Post
I am not going to tackle this from a point by point basis, every concern you have listed above is easily researched and debunked with a quick google search.
I call your bluff. If you can easily research and debunk "every concern" with a quick google search, then these three should be no problem:

1. Cannabis use is associated with risky sexual behavior in teens.

2. Cannabis use impairs motor control.

3. Nearly every recreational drug represents some degree of impairment when dealing with unexpected emergencies.

Quote:
You say in the above that you make sure to not imbide alcohol in situations where there may be a chance that your skills will be needed in their full capacity.

If "Soft" (alcohol, nicotine, marijuana (by any of its various forms), & mushrooms) are legalized. And for some odd reason, you decide that you would like to partake of them.

Are you likely to do so at a time which will put your children / family at risk. Or are you likely to do so at the same times that you enjoy an occasional adult beverage?
A designated driver is a good idea, no? If the soldiers are enjoying a few on a weekend, there should still be a few standing guard at the base who are sober, no? My idea is the same. An adult in a situation needs to be capable of addressing emergency situations, especially when caring for children, whether that emergency situation is a tornado, an allergic reaction, a lost child, a bear raiding the garbage, or gang bangers breaking into the home. If I'm the only adult, then I'm the designated guardian.