View Single Post
Old 04-16-2014, 10:30 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
The real question here is: how do you grow more "trophy" fish by reducing a limit?

The only logic there is that by reducing a limit, you are leaving more fish in, thereby increasing the chances of growing larger fish. You are giving more opportunity for those fish to get bigger.

But on the ecological flip side of that--I think its poppycock. If you leave more fish in the system, there is greater competition for a food source, and if the food source is not increasing, you are going to see an overall decrease in size. You can't grow bigger fish by leaving more in. You have to reduce the amount of fish so there is less competition on the food source.

I don't know, that seems pretty logical to me. I mean, if there are 100 of us in a room with only 100 sandwiches, it stands to reason that, on average, one person in that group is going to eat less than one person in a group of 50 would get to eat. (Assuming everyone shares, which just about seems impossible around here )

And for all those that don't want to sift through that huge document that MG posted earlier, here is the section on Tripletail:
Maybe if the weirs were gone, they wouldn't have to compete so hard for their food. It's crazy that sabine is good right now and BL has been terrible lately. No weirs in Sabine and oyster reefs that aren't destroyed. To me it's pretty clear that these issues need to be taken care of.