View Single Post
Old 04-19-2015, 11:54 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

well after I had the house raised and the chain wall put in for the house foundation, I had a 4" slab poured on two sides of the house (front and side) so where the stairs are going its the middle of a 5ft by 30ft slab 4" thick and made with reinforced fibers only and no wire or rebar in it. the one for the side door is within 2ft of the end of a 10ft by 30ft slab 4" thick. (the house is small 2BR 30x30)

I told the guys to make it thicker by the doors to support concrete steps to be built later but I couldn't be there to oversee it and just have to "trust" they did it and didn't just say they did. what the guy told me was he made it 6" thick at the area for the doors. I have no idea if they really did that or not since I left before the forming was completed and the slab poured.

as you can see, this isn't a pad poured for the steps but more like a driveway its going to be sitting on.

I can cut this existing slab with a skill saw and diamond blade to do a cut out of the existing slab to create new step footings "after the fact" or I can pour a 7" slab footing on top of the existing 4" slab to have a 11" above ground chain wall for it . pouring this footing on top creates the "first step" of the stairs and at the same time will make the foundation 11" thick would be easier then cutting into the existing slab if you think that would be a good idea. I am assuming the thickness is what is important rather then if its above or below ground.

Last edited by keakar; 04-19-2015 at 12:16 PM.