View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011, 12:05 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinSlagle View Post
I honestly couldnt tell ya, I am just getting into saltwater fishing, and never been very good at fishing in general. I didnt see anything breaking the surface that would hint at schooling fish. Couldnt see much in the water and I didnt actually get on the rocks to have a better view point. But, there was mullet jumping all around us and I even stepped on one, or Im telling myself it was a mullet at least LOL. And was seeing fish swirl at the surface pretty regularly. I dont know if that means anything.

We did catch a few croakers and some smaller fish that were probably baitfish (silver and smaller than my hand), quite a few dang catfish and one black drum (though I didnt know what it was at the time LOL). All those we threw back.
If you want to have a shot at catching a big fish......use one of the croaker as bait. Croaker [anything under 7" long] is very good bait to catch large Speckle Trout. If the croaker is dead.....try cutting it up for bait.

Be very very careful if you try to climb up on the rocks. There will be alge growing on them and it is very slippery.

Usually if the wind is out of the south, the water would be very muddy....like chocolate milk and you will not be able to see even 1" under the surface. Trout mostly stay in cleaner water.....say 6+" visability.