View Single Post
Old 08-12-2014, 08:49 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

thanks guys, I run a crab trotline to catch crabs so there is no shortage of free small crabs, just knowing the best size and way to fish them is not as easy as it looks.

glad to know live crabs don't work as well so I don't bother trying to keep live ones

I have tried crab a few times in my life but each time seamed to be a wasted effort just to feed the minnows rather then catch anything so I think im done trying the cracked crab and im going to try whole crab from now on.

hadn't thought about the armored shells of the claws so they will stay being just chum for now but cant you hook them through the knuckle joint rather then the shell, that should be fine to hold the bait for casting without coming loose shouldn't it?

also how fast is the bite with crab? what I mean by that is I know it all depends on the fish but on average how long does it take to get bites on crab vs meat baits?

the fishing we do is give things about 10-15 minutes then move if nothing bites so is this pattern suitable for fishing crabs or is is more of a chum style fishing where you pick a spot and stay there and wait it out until the fish come to you?