View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 11:08 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

The lews are great. I've always been pretty good at casting, but over the past few years I've switched to only lews on abu veritas / vendetta (cheap but good for the most part) rods, and it really improved my casting. I guess having the same feel in every rod/reel and not taking a few casts to get adjusted after picking a different rod up helps. I'm pretty hard on my stuff though, and have bent the handle (aluminum?) on one of the lower end bait cast models, still functions fine but not as comfortable with the one bent reel handle. Probably could bend it back but haven't tried yet. I'm not a fan of the spinning reels though. Although I think the two I have are both 5:2:1, and they're just not fast enough. They do make higher speed models though. I have lost too many fish that run straight to me that I just couldn't keep up with them. And I'd try a higher speed lews spinning reel, but I really don't like the flat knob they have. I've switched to only okuma trios high speed spinning reels, because of the 6:2:1 / round knob/ and price (the baitcaster okumas are POOP though, trust me). I like to back all my bait casters with braid then tie to my main line, and I've noticed the spools are kind of small on the bait casters. I feel like I've lost quite a few top water fish bc of this also. When making a long cast your spool gets smaller, so the line take up per reel wind gets smaller when you have a lot of line out, and using mono for topwater I have the stretch factor too. I feel like I cant keep enough pressure on the fish way out there when my reel is slow. Overall good reels for the price though.