View Single Post
Old 10-23-2015, 07:47 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
There shouldn't even be a coastal zone. There needs to be an east zone and west zone that worked for years and years. Just so happens u got personal interest on the commision that probably have no clue about duck hunting, making the seasons to fit their duck blind. This is completely out of hand. I wish the next governor would get rid of the commission all together.
Well, first of all, the commission will likely never be done away with. A constitutional amendment established the commission, so it would take another constitutional amendment to to do away with the commission. Since those are voted on by the public, it would take the majority of the public voting the commission away. Of course, this would first require someone pushing for the commission to be done away with. The issue there is, who assumes control over the the decision making? That discussion could be had on a completely different thread, and likely go a long way to no where.

As far as the commission not knowing anything about duck hunting, I think it is the contrary. Yakupzack and Courville definitely know duck hunting--in southwest Louisiana. I would hope Courville would, being a former DU biologist and the current land manager for Miami Corporation. He made a proposal based on the way he interpreted harvest numbers. It may not have been an inaccurate interpretation, but they went against what the public wanted and what LDWF proposed.

I believe the whole inspiration for the coastal zone came from the fact that SWLA and SELA harvest numbers by week were very similar, so it was believed that the two should be managed, as a whole, separate of the rest of the west zone. Forgive my earlier post stating that the SELA folks were in the east zone....it was early when I made that post. I think it makes more sense for the SELA marshes to be east zone. If we have always worked under the theory that half of the state is influenced by the Central flyway, and the other half the Mississippi Flyway, then why is the state not divided into the 2 east-west zones?

If you want to break the coastal parishes off into separate zones, then why not do 4 zones? The feds said we could back in the late 2000s.