View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 11:28 PM
Flounder

Cash: 744

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post
Who are majors when it comes to 1911s?
Les Baer and Nighthawk would probably be the top guns of 1911s.

Kimber is great, I have a Custom II Target and I love it. I spent the extra money and got adjustable sights.

Springfield and Colt are probably pretty close to a Kimber.

Kimbers have target or match grade hammers, triggers and barrels. You can get those on a Springfield and that puts them right up with the Kimbers pricewise. Remington has a model with target/match grade stuff which raises the price as well. Within a certain price range, most of them have the same features. A 500 dollar Springfield will have basic features on par with say a Rock Island Arms. A 900 dollar Remington will have the basically same features as a 900 dollar Kimber, Colt or Springfield.

One reason Kimbers cost so much is because their low end models come with high dollar features They don't make a 500 dollar model like the other guys (neither does Colt for that matter). If you buy the low end Remington it will not have the features the low end Kimber will have.

Kimber has a firing pin safety as well, I think they are the only ones with that feature, though I could be wrong.

And yes the lower priced guys are gonna be cast while the more pricey ones are milled or machined and will, or should, have tighter tolerances. My Kimber is really tight, takes some umph to pull the slide back.

I have the Kimber, my dad has a Colt and my brother has an American Classic. They all shoot pretty much the same to me. I can tell the difference in how it feels in my hand though. The cheap American Classic only hangs up with a cheap 15 round magazine and the Colt hangs up the most. My Kimber hasn't hung up yet.