View Single Post
Old 06-14-2017, 10:18 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 959

Well today was one of those days where everything just went soo much better than I would have thought. And now I've gone crazy. I'll get to the pictures of today in a bit. Honestly, this is a fun project, but it just hasn't blown my socks off yet. I mean, it's been done quite a bit, people copying the old berts. But then I came across this article:

http://www.oceanofnews.com/classic-r...ew-bertram-35/

So I'll summarize. Bertram is building the 31 bert again, but they are doing it in 35 feet. I gotta try it. Here are some pictures of the new, classic styled, 35 bert:

The big difference is the beam of 12 feet 5 inches, where as the old 31 is 11 feet 2 inches. And then it's 4 feet longer.

I can't make mine wider, i just can't swing that, but I wonder if I could add a few feet. Maybe make mine 3 foot longer, give me a bigger cab, a little more nose, and a foot more of cockpit? I could just use the same front of the cab, but extend the back part a foot and a half. Give 9 inches up in front of the cab and then 9 inches in the cockpit. Plus i can round the transom up top to gain an extra 7-8 inches in the cockpit, and I have a bigger boat that costs about the same to build and is still light as it'll be all foam cored and basic. Anyway, bringing a bunch of pictures to the shop tomorrow and we're going to look at the mold and see what we come up with.

Alright, onto the pictures from today. harold cut small strips, and used contact cement to hold them to the tape. We just put a small dot a glue on top, in the middle and on bottom, so that it will be easy to take off. It wrapped around easy, and then we put fairing with cabosil and resin in the cracks to stiffen it up, and we'll sand it and glass the outside tomorrow. I'm thinking and hoping it'll come off easy, but either way, it's coming off, and it took the form very nicely. Just one days worth of work, and we have a perfect divinycell copy of the front of the cabin, which I feel was the hardest part.