View Single Post
Old 10-05-2016, 08:44 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,075

[quote=C-Bass2mouth;808608]
Quote:
Originally Posted by speck-addict View Post
3) calling, now I am by no means a great call, I am average and I am able to kill birds day in day out, but knowing how the calling differed when hunting over water to when I was hunting dry field was huge
QUOTE]
Please elaborate on this. The best hunts I've been on have been over a dry set aside field last season, but that was with friends who are experienced callers. I had a few good hunts at my blind over water while I was the one calling. I haven't had enough experience yet to really tell a difference in the way the birds react over water vs over dry ground. Keep in mind the dry field was in a heavily pressured area, and my spot over water was in Central LA where the specks don't get called at as much as down south (I think that's why I was able to kill a few). I could barely cluck as of then (last season).
So calling over water to specks is Like hunting open water for ducks verse timber.
The sound will stay high and louder If you have water not by much but enough to where If you don't some what adjust those birds will know something is different.

Also look as geese congregate more in dry field rather then flooded fields you calling style (at least in my experiences) changes. Dry field more clucks especially fast exciting double clucks, less 2 or 3 note yodels once you get the birds to start working. In a flooded field I find a lower quieter call only when need to works better. example get there attention with a 2 or 3 note yodel work them down throw in a few clucks more single/soft finishing double clucks but when they swing out work them like a duck 2 or 3 note yodels.

And all this varies caller to caller I have seen other techniques work, but that is what works day in day out for me.