View Single Post
Old 11-23-2013, 03:40 PM
Flounder

Cash: 671

Out of the calibers you mentioned, I would go with the 243. It has a light recoil, is definitely a tack driver, will kill any deer, and ammo is common. When I say common, I am talking about a situation where you forget your ammo at home and have to shop in a small town Walmart or worse.

The 25 06 is a great one also. For an adult, it is light recoil, and with the lighter bullets is even older kid friendly. Ammo is not as common.

I have a 257 Roberts and love it. But as someone mentioned, you definitely have to reload for it. The factory ammo is all 117 or 120 grain bullets and it just won't shoot flat with that heavy of a bullet. Shoot 85 grain handloads and you get great performance.

The 22-250 would be my last choice. Tack driver for sure, but light super fast bullet will blow up on a twig and ammo isn't that common.

Having said all that, I have never owned or shot the 7mm 08, but without a doubt it gets more mention than any other round as a great kid caliber. And it's got enough umph to be a life long round. Definitely worth considering.