View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 02:34 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by latravcha View Post
A buddy of mine builds these. It is a 25' with 250 pro xs. 65mph with 5 people and 1/2 tank of gas. IMO if you are looking for a alum boat this would be the way to go.

Attachment 52481
That is one sweet ride. My preferences lie toward a deeper V (handling waves is a higher priority to me than skinny water) and a lot less power. I only need a bit more speed than needed to get up on plane, and I prefer not to be overpowered in the motor department. In my view, 90 hp is plenty for a 20 ft boat that weighs ~2000 lbs unless a particular hull desigh needs a bit more than that to get up on plane. If more isn't needed to heep a boat up on plane, 20 mph is plenty fast to get me everywhere I want to go, 35 mph is about the top end of what I consider safe with my typical fishing crew and gear under above average conditions, and 65 mph is borderline crazy for my crew and gear under most conditions.

Yes, there are days when big lake is a sheet of glass, and one can do 65 mph and see all the obstacles, but most places in LA where one can see far enough to safely go 65 mph usually have wave action making that uncomfortable, and most places smooth enough to go 65 mph have too many hidden obstructions or the possibility of some other fellow coming around the next bend. I think we've all had some one come "out of nowhere" around a bend in the marsh or bayou and we were glad we were doing 20-30 mph rather than 65. If 250 hp will do 65 mph, 90 hp should get close to 40 hp, which is just about right.

Especially if I might be turning over the boat to teenagers to take out, I'm not really inclined to power it to do more than 35 mph.