View Single Post
Old 02-08-2017, 09:55 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,020

On a Sustained West wind the wind with blowing with the gulf current along the beach, that typically lowers the level of the near shore gulf and makes that water very dirty as well. The fact that it's lower than the bay will typically drop the tide level in the bay (a short term west wind like before a cold front typically won't do this unless the tide was above average the day before). So inside the bay on the sustained west, it will drawn the bay down making wave agitation closer to the bottom of the bay and that lifts more sediment and 'dirties' up the bay. Also, a sustained west typically is associated with some amount of higher pressure and that can decrease tide movement as well .. dirty water, lower tide levels and less water movement don't exactly turn on the bite.

If it's just windy and that's what is causing dirty water, I don't worry about that as much. The fish will be where the food is and they don't get in the boat and drive around looking for pretty water. Also, we underestimate their ability to eat in the dirty stuff. Frankly I'd rather fish the dirty stuff over the clear water. I tend to catch bigger and more fish when I do. A good play is fishing the edge of a color change over structure like oyster or a drop off etc.